shop.opencyclemap.org is now closed
After over 5 years of operation and thousands of orders processed, the OpenCycleMap online shop (shop.opencyclemap.org) was closed on the 4th January 2016.
There’s actually a long list of reasons why I decided to close the store, here’s just a few of them:
- By the end of 2015 the sales were entirely of digital downloads for Garmin devices, but I don’t use my Garmin any more. This meant that I wasn’t spending as much time as I should have working on the maps.
- I wasn’t developing new features for the maps or fixing some of the long-standing issues, and that was leading to disappointed customers.
- While the maps were state-of-the-art a few years ago, they didn’t take advantage of the better displays on new Garmin devices.
- There are many other places to get OSM-based cycling-themed Garmin maps nowadays, not least from Garmin themselves in some countries. Things have changed a lot in the last 5 years!
- I’m busier than ever before with developing the main maps for OpenCycleMap (with vector tiles, server upgrades and all sorts of things) and that shows no signs of slowing down.
- Shutting the shop leaves me more time to add new features to the map and to the website.
For those of you looking for Garmin maps, here’s a few suggestions:
Note that I can’t recommend any in particular - as I said above, I don’t use my Garmin devices very often nowadays so I haven’t tried any of these out.
I still have thousands of OpenStreetMap promotional leaflets available - just email me and we can arrange a delivery.
I’d like to take the opportunity to thank all of my customers over the years - especially to everyone who gave their feedback and encouragement!